LWC Music Boosters award 2018 Charles Stark Summer Camp scholarshipsThursday, April 19, 2018
On April 10, 2018, the Lincoln-Way Central Music Boosters awarded $2100 in scholarships to six student musicians who wish to participate in summer music camp opportunities.
The Charles Stark Summer Camp Scholarships are awarded annually to support the participation in music enrichment activities. The summer scholarship is named for Charles Stark, director of choirs for Lincoln-Way from 1969-1992 and music department chair from 1997-2002.
In order to receive a scholarship, students were asked to submit an essay outlining their contributions to the Lincoln-Way Central Music Department and how their attendance at a summer music camp would benefit both their personal musical growth and their LWC Music ensembles. All applications were reviewed by the LWC Music faculty and LWC Music Booster executive board.
"Students awarded Charles Stark Summer Camp scholarships demonstrate musical excellence and an over-and-above commitment to the Lincoln-Way Central Music Department,” says Lincoln-Way Central Music Chair Stacy Williams-Jackson. “Skills developed over these summer camps will both augment each student's personal musicianship and bring home an elevated level of performance to their Central ensembles. We are so grateful to the LWC Music Boosters for their ongoing support of our musicians!"
Each student was awarded $350 to offset the cost of their summer camp.
The 2018 Charles Stark Summer Camp Scholarship recipients are:
• Alexandra DeBello, junior, New Lenox: Belmont University Strings Camp (Nashville, TN)
• Kylie Krawulski, junior, New Lenox: NIU Jazz Camp (DeKalb, IL)
• Tyler McMahon, junior, Mokena: NIU Jazz Camp (DeKalb, IL)
• James Mountford, junior, Mokena: Illinois Summer Youth Music Saxophone Symposium (Urbana, IL)
• Rebecca Siegel, sophomore, New Lenox: Belmont University Strings Camp (Nashville, TN)
• Jenna Storiz, junior, New Lenox: Indiana University Orchestra Camp (Bloomington, IN)